A week before the tragic Star case, a social services boss resigned from a £121k-a-year job.

A SOCIAL SERVICES boss in charge of the failures resigned from his £121,000-a-year job a week before the trial of little Star Hobson's killer.

Bradford's third director of children's services to leave in as many years was Mark Douglas.

Star Hobson was tormented by her feckless mother, Frankie Smith, 20, and Savannah Brockhill, the self-proclaimed "number one psycho" at the age of 28.

Smith was found guilty of causing or allowing the death of a child today, while Brockhill, her ex-partner, was found guilty of murder.

After an Ofsted report found "some children are at risk of serious harm," Mr Douglas was heavily chastised for failing to make immediate changes.

But on October 15, a week before Brockhill and Smith went to court, he abruptly resigned, blaming the "challenges of Covid."

He claimed it was the right time for him to find a new job, despite the fact that he is still unemployed.

Just days later, his department's egregious failings were laid bare at Bradford Crown Court.

"They couldn't find experienced social workers or keep the ones they had, so they were operating at a bare minimum, leaving some children vulnerable."

"During Mark Douglas's tenure, some funding was agreed upon, but it was insufficient to solve the problem; in fact, it didn't even come close."

"Whoever follows him into this job full-time is in for a difficult task."

His resignation came after the government named a commissioner to investigate the "slow pace of change" following "inadequate" ratings.

Children's services in the city have "rapidly deteriorated," according to watchdogs, since an inspection in April 2017.

The loss of a "significant number of experienced social workers and managers" coincided with an increase in the number of children in crisis.

It resulted in a significant increase in the use of temporary and contract workers.

Brockhill assaulted Star's tiny body with a slew of horrific injuries, including broken bones, a 12cm skull fracture, and numerous bruises.

Desperate family and friends took photos and videos in the hopes that social services would intervene and bring the 16-month-old's suffering to an end.

After the fatal attack, the twisted couple waited 15 minutes before calling for help, instead searching Google for "shock in babies" and "how to bring a baby out of shock."

After her inferior vena cava - the body's largest vein - was torn, Star died in hospital from blood loss.

Her injuries, according to doctors, are usually only seen in car accident victims and were caused by "punches, kicks, or stamps."

Prior to the fatal attack in Keighley, West Yorkshire, the tragic tot had suffered a severe skull fracture as well as several other fractures to her tibia and ribs.

Arthur Labinjo-Hughes was tortured to death by his stepmother Emma Tustin and father Thomas Hughes just months before Star's death.

Boris Johnson has promised to enact a new "Arthur's Law" to ensure that evil child killers die in prison.

"Anyone who plans then carries out the murder of a child should never be released from prison," Prime Minister David Cameron told The Sun.

"As a result, we're toughening the law to make whole-life orders the starting point for such heinous crimes," says the prosecutor.

Tomorrow, Smith and Brockhill will be sentenced.

Get the amazing news right in your inbox

about author
Leave a Reply